My friends on Facebook keep posting these cute articles like 40 Ways to Feel Old and 25 Fashion Trends That Didn’t Survive the 90s. And overall, I just feel like a lot of my friends and people on the Internet are focusing on the 90s. Since I was born in 1983, maybe that makes me really old, but there are a few more gems that are just as ancient (or, gasp, maybe even from the late 80s! Gasp again!) that need their time in the Interwebs limelight.
So I scoured the Yahoo message boards and the really weird people on YouTube. Here they are, 17 of the greatest, lesser-known shows from the late 80s and early 90s.
1. Today’s Special. Does anyone else remember this TV show? Anyone else? I swear that I might be the only one.
2. Eureka’s Castle. The Moat Twins were the best, those naughty rascals.
3. David the Gnome. I never noticed this before, but his wife was stacked!
4. Maya the Bee. I made up a theme song for my cat, and its melody is the same as the opening theme song from this show.
5. Kids Incorporated. Before Fergie went a tainted it all, this show was one of my favs, mostly for the theme song.
6. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers. Another fabulous theme song that I used to dance to while wearing my Ninja Turtles underoos (I was kinda a Tom Boy. Well, who are we kidding? I still am.)
7. Fred Penner’s Place. A single and hairy guy playing with his guitar in the forest? Totally kid appropriate.
8. The Mouse and the Motorcycle. I was actually trying to find the Fibel movie and ran across this! Holy cow, I totally forgot about this one until I just saw it!
9. The Christmas Toy. Probably what started my love of cats.
10. The Secret of Nimh. OK, so I wasn’t trying to find Fibel, I was trying to find this one! Remember the scary owl? And the dramatic ending?
11. Pictures Pages. Now you want one of those pens, don’t you!?
12. The Last Unicorn. Made me want to be a unicorn from preschool through second grade. Not have a unicorn. Be a unicorn.
13. Small Wonder. A girl robot!
14. Double Dare. And Mark had OCD the whole time.
15. Mr. Wizard. Apparently the old scientist was a bit of a dick.
16. Airwolf. Man-Beast is having me include this one. He’s also humming along to the theme song as I type this.
17. Silver Spoons. Before Carlton got his gig on the Fresh Prince, he was grocking with Ricky on their 1988 computer. Ca we please back the term, “Grocking?”